Diplomate, American Board of Podiatric Surgery
Certified in Foot Surgery
A native of Puerto Rico, Dr. Rivera attended the University of Florida where he completed his undergraduate studies and obtained a B.S. in Sports Medicine. Following his undergraduate studies, he attended the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine in Cleveland, Ohio and earned his Doctor of Podiatric Medicine degree in 2000. Dr. Rivera completed a comprehensive foot and ankle surgical residency, including a one year foot and ankle surgical fellowship program under the guidance of John Kenzora, MD at the University of Maryland Medical Center Department of Orthopedics.
Although Dr. Rivera specializes in the non-surgical and surgical treatment of all foot and ankle disorders, he has a special interest in sports medicine as well as diabetic foot surgery and wound care. Prior to joining the Center for Foot and Ankle Surgery, he served as team Podiatric Physician for several high school and local athletic teams in Central Florida. In addition, he also served as the Director of Podiatric Surgery at the Florida Hospital Fish Memorial Wound Care & Hyperbaric Center where he encountered numerous complex diabetic foot pathology.
Dr. Rivera is a strong patient advocate who is dedicated to improving his patient's quality of life with a focus on minimally invasive procedures allowing patients a quicker recovery and return to activity.
Dr. Rivera relocated to Austin, TX in early 2010 from Orlando, FL, with his wife and two children. He is an avid cyclist and enjoys spending time with his wife and family.
Some of the common foot and ankle conditions encountered by Dr. Rivera include:
- Diabetic Foot Wounds (ulcers)
- Diabetic Limb Preservation
- Heel Pain
- Sports Injuries of the Foot and Ankle
- Fractures of the Foot and Ankle
- Achilles Tendon injuries
- Ankle Sprains
- Ingrown nails
- Deformities of the Foot and Ankle
Past Professional Experience
- The Institute for Foot & Ankle Surgery. Lake Mary, FL. November 2004 - February 2010.
- South Florida Institute of Sports Medicine. Weston, FL. August 2003 - October 2004.
- Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgical Fellowship, 2002 -2003. University of Maryland Medical Center.
- Podiatric Surgical Residency, 2000 - 2002. West LA VA Medical Center/Boston VA Medical Center.
- Doctor of Podiatric Medicine, 2000. Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine.
- Bachelor of Science in Sports Medicine, 1996. University of Florida.
- Diplomate, American Board of Lower Extremity Surgery
- Director of Podiatric Surgery, Florida Hospital Fish Memorial Wound Care & Hyperbaric Center
- Director, Institute for Foot & Ankle Surgery
- Director, Foot & Ankle Clinic at Central Florida Sports Medicine Clinic
- Volunteer Physician, West Volusia YMCA Youth Soccer League
- Volunteer Physician, West Volusia Adult Baseball League
- Performance Improvement Committee, Florida Hospital Fish Memorial Hospital
- Guest Podiatrist, “Despierta America” Univision National Television Show
- Guest Lecturer, Florida Hospital Foundation Lecture Series
- Guest Lecturer, Memorial Regional Hospital Hispanic Lecture Series